Sunday, August 9, 2009

Studying for Chapter 8 test...

One of the questions in the practice test was this one from the True/False section:
  • 8. Only six different types of exceptions can occur in a visual basic program.
Now, I don't know about you guys, but I looked, read then re-read the chapter, headbutted the wall (thank God we don't have a cat, for it would surely have been kicked) and yet I still couldn't find a definitive answer to this question.

I know, I know... Page 592 has a table with six exception types in it. But I direct you to the paragraph above the table:
Different types of exceptions can occur. The table shown in figure 8-46 identifies some of the of the possible exceptions.
Does this meant the correct answer is False? The table after all only shows six exceptions and it doesn't say anywhere in the text, "This list is by no means exhaustive or complete" etc. So you could probably make a case for saying that the answer is True if you really wanted to push it.

Anyway, I went searching and found another, larger, yet still by no means exhaustive, list of exceptions. It can be found at http://www.exforsys.com/tutorials/vb.net-2005/vb.net-exceptions.html and succeeds where the book fails, gives us a definitive answer to the question.

And just in case you are wondering... Yes, I am grumpy. Bloody Cats!!! Someone must have swapped their playbook with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy because it apparently has the words "Don't Panic" written across the front in large, friendly letters. Yeah right, 7 of our best 22 out injured and another 6 of them playing with injuries or just out of form, four weeks from finals... Nah, don't worry about panic, I think we've moved beyond that point. Next stop, despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment